The First Peoples’ Assembly of Victoria (the Assembly) is the voice of Aboriginal people in Victoria in the next stage of the Treaty process. It is made up of Victorian Traditional Owners, elected by Aboriginal Communities, for Aboriginal Communities, to advance our rights, interests and benefits.
Our mandate is to work with the State to establish Treaty processes that recognise our sovereignty as the First Peoples of Victoria, support self-determination, and realise our human rights, to make Victoria stronger for everyone. Walk with us and make history!
You will be an integral part of the team working with Victorian Aboriginal Communities in supporting negotiations with the State Government on the Victorian Treaty process.
Reporting to the Senior Policy Adviser, you are responsible for providing project and policy advice as well as support to the leadership team. This includes supporting the delivery of core Assembly services whilst identifying emerging risks and challenges.
You will conduct research, analysis, and serve in a project management capacity to support the development of policies. In addition, you will provide written and verbal advice to the CEO, Co-Chairs and the management team.
Your previous experience and skill set includes:
• An understanding of the national landscape/context for Aboriginal Affairs and treaty process, current legislative challenges and recent decisions is desirable;
• An understanding of Government decision making processes is desirable;
• The provision of strategic policy advice and guidance;
• Demonstrated management of relationships;
• Working to challenging deadlines;
• Knowledge of Victorian Aboriginal Communities with experience working with these Communities is desirable;
• A collaborative and respectful approach;
• Being a creative problem solver who extends the existing rights of Aboriginal people;
• Solid influencing skills;
• Conceptual thinking; and
• The ability to synthesise complex information and communicate it simply and effectively.
Join an environment where you will be immersed in Aboriginal culture and get to work with Communities across Victoria.
Apply now by submitting your CV and a cover letter outlining your qualifications and suitability to firstname.lastname@example.org
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply for this role.
Salary range: $85,000 – $97,000