Expression of Interest
Expressions of interest are sought from suitably qualified individuals (or entities) to provide initial operational support for up to 2 months to assist in establishing the Self-Determination Fund.
The Self-Determination Fund is a Victorian First Peoples’ designed and led public charitable trust, that is a foundational element of the Victorian Treaty process. The Fund is a wholly owned subsidiary of the First Peoples’ Assembly of Victoria, the independent and democratically elected body representing Traditional Owners and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in Victoria.
The Self-Determination Fund’s key purposes are (1) to support Traditional Owners and Victorian First Peoples to have equal footing with the State of Victoria in future Treaty negotiations, and (2) to build capacity, wealth, and prosperity for Victorian First Peoples, now and into the future.
A board of five interim directors has been appointed for a period of six to nine months to establish the Self-Determination Fund. Initial support for the board of interim directors is required while recruitment of staff occurs.
Initial support required by the interim directors includes:
- Advice and support to enable the directors to meet as required and comply with relevant corporate documents and laws. Includes support for board meetings, such as agenda, board papers and minutes, travel and logistics.
- Planning to establish operations, including transitional plans and other operational documents as required.
- Assist the interim board in recruitment of key staff for the establishment phase of the Self-Determination Fund.
- Liaise with relevant senior staff in the First Peoples’ Assembly of Victoria as directed by the interim board.
- Other tasks as directed by the interim directors.
It is expected that the work will involve up to 2-3 days per week for up to 2 months.
This role would suit individual (or entities) with the following expertise, experience and attributes:
- Working with and for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisations and individuals.
- Establishing trusts, with a preference for experience in establishing public charitable trusts.
- Providing advice and support to ensure compliance with relevant corporation laws, policies and codes of conduct.
- Providing corporate and governance support to a board of directors to ensure meetings comply with relevant legal and governance requirements and are held in a professional and organised manner.
- Located, or ability to attend face to face meetings, in Melbourne and/or regional Victoria over the two-month period.
Start date: As soon as possible
How to express your interest?
Please provide a short statement expressing your interest in this role (maximum two pages) by 5pm on Friday 2 December that outlines:
- relevant experience
- proposed cost to undertake the work (hourly / daily rate) Expressions of interest should be emailed to email@example.com Further information
Ben Schokman, Head of Policy and Negotiations on 0403 622 810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Rachel Lenehan, Policy Manager on 0434 354 536 or email@example.com